HOPE SPECIAL SCHOOL
Hope special school for mentally challenged children had its humble beginning in 2003 with 3 children, 2 volunteers, and a special educator. Now the school caters to the needs of almost 65 children with 15 teaching and non-teaching staff members.
With the view to start a special school for children with intellectual and various development disorders, a survey was undertaken to know about the incidence of mental disabilities, causes and problems faced by their family within 15 kms of Ambattur surrounding. The result proved critical number of cases with mental disability with varied causes. Most of the families live under poverty and faces stigma. As a result, the entire family with a mentally disabled member stands isolated. Unlike other children, education to the children mental or developmental disabilities is extremely crucial. The primary focus is on equipping them with self-help and functional skill required for child’s independence.
- Over 80% of the children in Hope Special School are hailing from Low socio economic background and education is offered free to them along with therapies and vocational training. This helps the children to cope with life and live independently.
- Children are situated in and around of Ambattur locality of about 10 km radius. To reduce burden for children multiple disabilities, they are provided transportation facilities at free of cost.
- The school operates with meager funds in a rented building with basic amenities and is unable to afford for salaries of all the employees who work for the school. As providing the salaries have been very difficult, it affects the very functioning of the school.
- Special Education
- Practical math
- Activities of daily living
- Special facilities for CP children
- Yoga/ Meditation/ Physical training
- Speech therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Sensory integration & Counseling